Sunday, March 6, 2011

Blog Assignment #6

I remember we only had one computer when I was little and it was the classic big and white IBM PC. I think one of the first experiences I had with a PC was moving the mouse all over the screen. My parents bought me some Barbie and Toy Story CD-ROM games. I'm not sure if it was Toy Story but it was something like that. I could dress up Barbies, design their clothes, learn cowboy songs, organize a doll house and stuff like that.

My first experience with the Internet I think it was remembering we could not receive or make calls or something like that from our landline phones while someone was using the Internet because of the Dial-up connection. In order to get access to it you had to listen to this kind of annoying noise. It was painful after a while and it took several minutes. Here’s the link where you can listen to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

Let's say I wanted to know the meaning of "ensemble". I would type in the Internet like www.ensemble.com. Obviously, my results were not really accurate or the website did not exist. I remember this because when I discovered Google doing research was way easier. I had access to all sorts of information in a click.

This experience has helped me tons in my education. Every time I have to do an assignment I access Google most of the time. Without Google or the Internet, our research methods would be looking for information in books, which is time-consuming and people would have to go to libraries.

As time passed by, more members of my family started owning computers. We are 5 and now we have 7 computers, from laptops to desktops, from Macs to PCs. I hardly spend a day without using a computer. I might use it for either educational, social or leisure purposes. It has become part of most people’s lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment